We wanted to share some tips and resources that we hope will help you lead and adapt during these very stressful times:
- You’re likely being bombarded with questions by staff, clients and caregivers. It’s important that you’re giving out reliable information from trusted sources. Here are a few sites that will give you the most up-to-date information on COVID-19:
Public Health Ontario COVID-19 Resources
Health Canada COVID-19 Updates
- Provide clear messaging to staff. Talk with your peers and managers to ensure you’re all saying the same thing in the same way. Nothing encourages anxiety more than mixed messages.
- Be aware that you can’t have all the answers. This situation is evolving rapidly and new directives from the government are coming out almost daily. It’s perfectly fine to say that you don’t have an answer to a question – and it’s the responsible thing to do.
- The Ontario Caregiver Organization has great resources for family caregivers, and has recently added tip sheets related to COVID-19, such as Tips for Caregiver Mental Health During COVID-19. They also have a help line at 1-833-416-2273.
- It’s really important to take care of yourself. Listen to an online concert, get some exercise, find a new recipe, or just make a cup of tea and savour it!
Our top priority is the health and safety of our clients, trainers and staff. We have suspended all in-person training for the time being, but if you have new training needs that arise as the situation evolves, for yourself or for your PSWs, please let us know. We have webinar technology and can adapt most of our existing sessions, or create new webinars quickly for you.
Stay safe and stay healthy!
And again, thank you for your leadership in this unprecedented situation.
Director, Capacity Builders